Not sure how I can possibly be 47 this year. I still feel like I should be in my 20’s. And it’s not your typical milestone birthday, so why did I decide to do a birthday photo shoot?
One reason and one reason alone….WHY NOT?!?!
I have been reminded this past year that life is way too short to not try and live your best life. It’s very rare that I do something so completely for myself but this year, I decided what the hell!!!
I came up with the premise of the shoot just a week or so ago and have to thank Petra from Petra King Photography for helping make my vision become a reality.
If nothing else, it’s something to remind me and my son that it’s ok to be silly and let loose sometimes and not worry about others might think. Always try to live your best life now. Celebrating a birthday is a privilege denied to so many.
Typically I don’t make a big deal out of my birthday, but there was just something about doing this birthday photo shoot that I really needed to do for myself this year. I hope you enjoy these as much as I do.
This year I hit that pivotal point in my 40’s.. Turning 46 I can no longer say I am in my early 40’s, I am now pushing that 50 mark. I wouldn’t say I am even remotely wise for my years but I have learned a lot of things along the way. A lot of these will be cliches but here is what I know to be true. (These are in no particular order, just how they came to me and some are more serious than others.)
- If you can’t love yourself, you’re no good to anyone else. Love yourself first and then share that love.
- Always trust your gut instinct, it will almost never steer you wrong.
- A real friend will be there when you need them no matter what. Not when it is convenient for them.
- Friendships may come and go, but those worth having will stick around.
- The road map of your life will go through many, many unforeseen revisions. You can’t rely on one single path.
- I am a firm believer that when your time is up, it is up. I am not sure if there is some divine plan for us or what, but you can’t change it.
- Do not let the bad things define you.
- Only you can decide what is best for you, no one else.
- Your tastes and preferences will look vastly different when you look back 20 years, 10 years, even 5 years.
- Make a bucket list. Even if you don’t achieve them all, it gives you something to work for.
- As much as I still struggle with getting to the gym, I have learned to respect how much exercise does a body good in so many ways.
- Be the friend you want all your friends to be to you.
- No matter how good of a liar you think you are, someone will always get hurt in the end. Be honest.
- If I catch you lying to me, I will probably never trust you again. I may forgive, but I will never forget.
- Never, ever go to bed angry. You never know what the morning could bring.
- Even the smallest gesture of love/friendship can make a person’s day.
- Always recognize when you need to say “I’m sorry”. You may not have meant to do it, but acknowledge your were wrong.
- You need to accept that sometimes “Sorry” will not be enough.
- Some people will deserve a second chance and some won’t. And some will end up not deserving that second chance.
- I can never have too many hugs.
- I knew I always wanted to be a Mom. It’s is everything and nothing I thought I would be like. All in a good way.
- The love I have for my child is stronger than any love I have ever known or will ever know.
- I may not be the perfect Mom, but I will always try to be the best that I can be.
- I have probably learned more about life in the past 10 years with my son than I did in all the years prior to his birth.
- Try to find the positive in most situations. I may not always find it but at least I tried.
- You only get one life. Make the best of the one you are given.
- Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be Kind. Always. – My favorite quote ever.
- Even at my age, it is always okay to act like a kid again in appropriate situations.
- Every once in a while, you will need a day to reset yourself. For me, that means staying in my pjs, binge watching Netflix and laying on the couch all day.
- Try new things. Step out of your comfort zone every once in a while. You might just surprise yourself.
- Everyone is different but everyone is the same. Embrace your differences, enjoy your similarities.
- Burpees are a pure form of torture. They may be good for you, but I don’t know a single person who actually likes them.
- Coffee is the nectar of the Gods. Although I was into my 20’s before I discovered it’s goodness.
- Take lots and lots of pictures. You can’t relive those special moments but pictures can help.
- But on the contrary of that, be sure to enjoy the moments and not just focus on getting that perfect picture. Once they have past, you can’t get them back.
- I have a great respect for people who grow things. I don’t have a green thumb at all and wish I did.
- As much as I am a planner, sometime throwing the plans out the window and just rolling with it makes for a much better adventure.
- Unplug from the world for a day/couple of days when you can. It’s very liberating. I need to do it more often.
- Never underestimate the power of a good book. Reading can be a great way to escape the madness in the world sometimes.
- Everyone has their own religion/beliefs. I won’t force my beliefs on to you, do not impose yours on me.
- I probably will never, ever understand Minecraft. (As much as my son tries to teach me.)
- I’ve tried to adopt the mantra “Never Miss a Monday”. Not only for my fitness goals but other things. It just sets the week up for success.
- I still can not figure out how socks constantly go missing from my dryer. And somehow laundry piles mysteriously regenerate.
- Try and catch a sunrise every once in a while (on purpose). It can be the perfect way to start a day.
- Please and thank you are always appreciated.
- Laugh hard, laugh long, laugh often.
I have to say coming up with 46 things was much harder than I had anticipated. Enjoy!